Wednesday, 20 July 2011
August Social Bookmarking Workshop for Visual Arts and Design Educators
Written for Capetonian Visual Arts and Design educators interested in learning how to "social bookmark".
I will be teaching Secondary School Visual Arts and Design educators to use Diigo (a social bookmarking tool) in mid-August. The two hour, computer lab-based workshop aims to stick to this format:
1. Introduction on teaching with Diigo (and how a Visual Arts Head Of Department (HoD) is using it with Carbonmade) (15 minutes).
2. A brief introduction to my research and the importance of educators developing an "insider" mindset (15 minutes).
3. Educators to install Diigo on their browsers, followed by a discussion of the issues that emerged in doing this on multiple browsers types and versions in a one-laptop-per-learner class (10 minutes).
5. Educators "follow" the Visual Arts HoD and I (5 minutes).
6. Educators search for, and join, "Groups" that may be beneficial and set their group's email settings, et al. (15 minutes).
7. Discuss setting up a Group (i.e. class of "2013") and joining a WCED one (10 minutes).
8. Educators bookmark a few art museum websites and share them to a "Group" and one of their contacts. (5 minutes).
9. Creating and sharing a "list" (5 minutes).
10. Using other Web2.0 media for Visual Arts and Design education: Facebook, colourlovers (5 minutes).
11. Open forum for hands-on experimentation and questions (20 minutes).
If you teach at high school and would like to attend, kindly RSVP with John Cowan (Senior Education Specialist in the Visual Arts, Department of Education).